Mullen, today announces the successful close of the 60-day commercial EV pilot program for Class 1 EV cargo vans with Menzies Aviation and Loop at Los Angeles International Airport (“LAX”). Menzies operates in 250-plus airports in 58 countries, providing ground, air cargo, and fuel services to commercial airports and airlines.
Highlights of 60-day LAX Pilot Program:
- Two Class 1 EV vans were piloted at LAX airport and powered utilizing Loop-installed level 2 chargers
- Vans were utilized for transporting both equipment and crews throughout the pilot program
- Over 1,500 miles were driven over the course of the pilot at LAX
- Consistent performance with 100% uptime and zero maintenance issues
- Estimated cost savings of 66% in electrical versus their gas-equivalent vehicles
- Estimated 83% reduction in CO2 emissions for EV vans compared to gas-vehicle equivalent
Based on driver feedback, Menzies has requested van modifications to include increased seating capacity and additional windows for enhanced driver visibility. Upon completion of these enhancements and finalization of contract terms, it is anticipated that these updated vehicles will be used by Menzies to expand its fleet globally.
During the pilot, Loop provided EV charging infrastructure and fleet operations software to service the Mullen electric vans through its electric vehicle fleet-as-a-service (“EVFaaS”) program. With the Loop cloud-based Charger Management System (“CMS”), Menzies was able to charge Mullen’s electric vehicles between each shift to keep them powered for daily operations across LAX.
“We are excited to be a part of electrifying Menzies fleet at LAX Airport,” said John Schwegman, chief commercial officer at Mullen Automotive. “We were confident that our Class 1 vans would provide an ideal use case at LAX. We look forward to expanding their fleet at LAX and other operations.”
“The LAX pilot was very important in quantifying the efficiency, uptime, and cost savings that can be achieved with our Class 1 EV vans. Successful pilots such as this demonstrate how companies can scale their fleet operations with commercial EV offerings from Mullen,” said David Michery, CEO and chairman of Mullen Automotive.
SOURCE: Mullen Automotive